The New Year is right around the corner, soon, gyms will be swarming with people looking to hit their fitness goals. But what happens when the New Year’s Resolution motivation wears off, and dragging yourself out of bed for a workout seems impossible?
These 7 tactics are guaranteed to get you moving and keep you motivated, so that you go further than setting goals—you reach them.
- Write out your “why.” The first step in reaching your fitness goals is getting clear on why you have them in the first place. Why do you show up to 5:45 AM spin class? Why do you eat fruits and veggies every day? Once you figure that out, write it down in bold lettering and read it out loud every day; preferably in the morning or before your workout. This serves as a great reminder and motivation boost. Example: To run 2 miles without needing a break.
- Schedule gym dates. When you have an important date or meeting, you probably take care not to miss them, ever. Treat your gym sessions the same; write them down in your planner or on your calendar, or schedule them in your phone, and refuse not to show up for yourself.
- Plan your workout ahead of time. Whether you’re lifting weights, going on a run, or flowing through yoga, planning your workout ahead of time is a surefire way to stay focused and avoid the excuse of, “I don’t know what to do.”
- Always be prepared. It’s impossible to get a good workout in without the proper equipment. One way to make sure that never happens is by packing a gym bag ahead of time with all the essentials: clothing, shoes, water bottle, and earphones and keeping it in your car or at your desk. This way, no matter where the day takes you, you’ll always be prepared to get a good sweat in.
- Don’t do it alone. Everything is better with friends in tow. Grab your gal pals and sign up for a spin class or ask your bestie to hit the trails with you after work. Turn gym time into an excuse to hang out. Sure, you won’t be chatting it up much as you push through a boot camp, but you can always grab drinks or dinner after.
- Find what you love. There are thousands of ways to get in a good sweat session: weight lifting, running, yoga, Pilates, hiking, athletics, and tons more. Find a few options that don’t feel like torture, and stick to those until you feel comfortable enough to step out of your comfort zone. Staying motivated is a lot easier when you’re having fun.
- Blast the perfect playlist. Music is a workout’s best friend. Thanks to apps like Spotify and Apple Music, you can curate the ultimate playlist to keep you energized and motivated through even the toughest workouts.
Next time you’re thinking about staying in and skipping the gym, utilize these 7 tactics to get (and stay!) motivated. And remember, even the greatest achievers of all time need some extra motivation sometimes.
“It always seems impossible until it’s done.” – Nelson Mandela
Originally published at theadventurelab.com.au, go check the rest of their content out asap!