I get this question at least once a week: Kaili, how can I grow a bigger butt?
And although the answer isn’t that simple, there are steps you can take to perk up your peach. I’m no booty queen, but this is what’s worked for me. And please, like always, do your own research and figure out what works for you, because ultimately that’s all that matters.
- Activation Exercises: During your warm-up, practice some glute activation exercises such as glute bridges, clamshells, and band work. Not only will this get your booty warmed up and ready to work, it helps ensure the correct muscles will fire when performing your lifts and workouts. Not sure what these movements look like? YouTube is your new best friend! Try this video to start, or this one.
- Heavy Lunges: Lunges – the ultimate enemy. Nothing says, “I’m a baby deer,” like wobbling out of the gym after a few sets of heavy lunges. The key here is using weight and performing fewer repetitions with better form (rather than quick sloppy sets). Make sure you’re pushing through your heels and squeezing your booty at the top. Throw in some reverse lunges between squat sets and I promise you, your booty will be on fire.
- Pulses: The pulse will be your booty’s new bff. Add a few 2-3 inch pulses at the bottom of your back squats, body weight squats, front squats, lunges, reverse lunges, etc. and you’ll be amazed at the results. The trick is finding the perfect height – not too shallow and not too high. At the top of every repetition, squeeze squeeze squeeze.
- Eat: Ladies (and gents!) in order to see any real booty gains, you need to eat. A lot. This means fueling your body with the proper amount of carbs, protein, and fat it needs to restore your muscles and promote growth. A little tip – eat more on your lower body days if that’s where you’re looking for the most growth. Maybe throw in an extra snack or a few more grams of protein before bed – the extra fuel will go straight to those muscle groups (hello Ms. New Booty).
- Glute Bridges and Hip Thrusts: Yes, these are awkward to perform in a gym full of mirrors and people, I get it. But they’re ESSENTIAL to any glute-building plan. Whether you perform them with bodyweight or added weight, push through your heels, keep your core tight, and SQUEEZE at the top.
- Squeeze: I’m sure you’ve caught on by now, but it’s vital to squeeze those glutes every chance you get.
- Consistency: Your perfect booty won’t grow over night. Keep up the hard work and stay consistent. You’ll get to where you want to be before you know it.