I. Love. Egg. Rolls. And I cannot lie.
However, my belly doesn’t love fried foods. So that usually results in me skipping out on the glorious goodness that is the fried egg roll.
NOT ANYMORE. This recipe changed my life. It’s a new staple in my meal prep routine and I thought I’d share it with ya’ll.
(Please don’t judge my photography… I’ve never claimed to understand food photos)
And before we start let’s review the many benefits of cabbage:
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Improves vision
- Aids in weight loss
- Helps move digestion along
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Promotes bone health
What you’ll need:
- Large pan
- Ground pork
- Cabbage (coleslaw mix)
- Shredded carrots
- 1 tsp. Ground ginger
- 1 tsp. Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. Minced garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 red pepper (or whatever bell pepper floats your boat)
- 1/2 cup Beef broth
- 1 tbsp. Sesame oil
- Soy sauce (light sodium is a plus!)
- Brown pork in a large pan on medium-high heat
- Add garlic, onions, pepper, soy sauce, sesame oil, and seasonings & stir for 1-2 minutes
- Add beef broth & stir for 1 minute
- Toss in as much cabbage and carrots as your heart desires (taking into account the size of your pan) Remember: the veggies are where the bulk of this meal comes from — so fill that pan up
- Stir on medium until everything is mixed well and your taste buds can wait no longer
- Too much cabbage can sometimes upset people’s stomachs — so don’t do what I did and eat this for every meal of the day… you’ll be wishing you hadn’t.
- Don’t be afraid to mix it up! Toss in snap peas or fresh broccoli! If you’re a mushroom fan (which I’m not) those would be great too.
- Try using shredded chicken instead of pork to switch things up!