Breakfast food is my favorite. Some days I eat it for every meal. Is that excessive? Maybe. But it’s certainly delicious.
We all know “breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” Research on this (like anything) is a little mixed. Some scientists believe starting your day with a well-rounded meal kick starts your metabolism – meaning you’ll burn calories earlier and at a faster rate. Then there are those who believe if you don’t wake up hungry, you shouldn’t eat.
I belong to the first group, mainly because I wake up hungry ALWAYS. Actually… I’m hungry all day every day. Anyway, if you’re someone who finds themselves skipping breakfast because you don’t know what to make, you don’t have time, or any other lame excuse – I’m here to help with my 5 favorite breakfast ideas. #TeamBreakfast
In order of quickest to most time consuming:
- Banana peanut butter oats. This so-simple recipe is packed full of low-glycemic carbs and healthy fats to power your busy day. Mix 1 tbs. of peanut butter, 3 tbs. of egg whites, ½ banana, and 1 tsp. cinnamon with ½ cup of oats. Add water, and heat in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds. The bananas basically caramelize and turn into ooey-gooey goodness.
- English muffin with honey and cinnamon. English muffins are my weakness. Nothing warms my heart more than a perfectly toasted muffin, drizzled with honey, and sprinkled with cinnamon. You’ll need a napkin! The honey tends to drip down your hands (or maybe it’s just me?)
- Protein smoothie with almonds. 1 scoop protein powder + ½ cup frozen berries + ½ banana + Greek yogurt + water + ice cubes = YUM. Top with a handful of raw almonds and eat with a spoon.
- Egg white omelet & protein waffle. This is one of my go-tos for busy days where I know I’ll need an extra boost of energy. Simply make an egg white omelet and top with maple syrup and cinnamon. Then whip up some Kodiak Cakes and make yourself a big, soft waffle. Top with your favorite fruit and chow down.
- Sweet potato zucchini hash. I made this recipe almost every day I was on the Whole 30. Shred ¼ of a sweet potato and ¼ of a zucchini. Add to a pan with a small amount of olive oil. Cook until slightly crispy. Crack an egg right on top and sprinkle a healthy amount of black pepper over the entire pan. Feeling extra hungry? Toss in some breakfast turkey and feast away.
What’s your favorite breakfast food? Let me know in the comments!