Vegetables are of the devil, in my opinion. I just don’t find them tasty or appealing. When I want a snack the last thing I’m reaching for is a cucumber, or worse, CELERY. However, veggies are essential and I won’t go a day without them. So here are 5 sneaky ways to eat them without wanting to cry.
- Toss them in soup or chili. I love chopping up peppers, asparagus, green beans, and carrots and throwing them in the crockpot. My favorite recipe (chicken & sweet potato chili) is chuck-full of nutrient packed veggies.
- Swap chips out for peppers. Sweet bell peppers make the perfect dipping utensil for salsa, hummus, or guacamole. Plus – they’re so low-cal you can basically have endless dips.
- Start early with sweet potato zucchini hash. Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day and if I’m able to fill it with veggies – even better. Use a grater or peeler (if you’re low-tech like me) and turn sweet potatoes and zucchini into thin hash browns, pour a little EVOO in the bottom of a pan, fry em’ up, and top with eggs. YUM.
- Green smoothies. Another morning classic, the smoothie, can instantly turn into a vegged-out powerfood by adding spinach, avocado, and kale to frozen berries, protein, almond milk, and peanut butter.
- Deck out your Za’. Piz-ZA that is. Not only is homemade pizza a blast to make, you’re in charge of the toppings, meaning you have the power to turn pie into a veggie paradise. Some of my favs: roasted red peppers, zucchini, broccoli, red onion, and sun dried tomato.
Vegetables play a vital role in digestion, blood pressure, skin health, and an overall happy body. Not only that, but they’re a low-calorie and zero-fat food, which means they’re perfect for filling, up without fattening up.
What’s your favorite way to veg out?